Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Cue that Greenday song everyone plays at weddings and graduations

So Googling 'pot cracks filled with wax' will display various results of marijuana and cocaine.  Not really what I"m looking for, but a chuckle is welcoming. 

Really what I was looking for is a story a teacher told me about the etymology of the word sincere.  It's largely believed the word sincere comes from the two Greek words sin cersa -without wax.  Back when Greek city states mass produced ceramics, some lukewarm potters would fix cracks with wax. 
Now, some business savvy artists (yes they exists, they're called well fed artists) started putting up the signs at shop with the words sin cersa. Yes, my pots have no wax on them.  Why?  Because I am that good of a potter, and you will never be cheated from me!

And, supposedly, overtime sin cersa became sincere.

On the other side of Eurasia, Japanese nobles are intentionally braking their own ceramics, then repairing the advent flaws with liquid gold.  It started when a noblemen was upset when a pricy, imported, tea set was fixed with metal clamps.  He thought the repair should be beautiful like the cup, so he turned to the artists of his court to create an aesthetic repair.  The result is gluing the broken pieces together with a glue, then, while the glue is still tacky, dab gold alloy over the cracks.  Kintsugi -the golden journey- is born.

So, why am I telling you all of this?  Well, don't you feel wiser or smarter know sin cersa and kintsugi?  I do, and I hope you understand why and maybe apply it to your own lives.

In my pretty much only contemporary art class (really BYU-I is the French Academia of the Mid West), Professor David Jones presented our midterm assignment as this: create an artwork presenting a concept.  Instantly I knew what kind of idea I wanted to do.


Life is going to hit us, and it will break us.  Sometimes knowingly or sometimes blindsided.  When I was making my concept artwork, both things were happening to me.  The job I wanted slipped through my fingers (never do an internship with the Government, kids), and graduation was coming too fast for comfort.  But even if I don't have control over what happens or what results may be, I do have control over how I react to them.

So I graduated, and I still have no job.  Nether are positions I want to be in, but that's life.  I can half-heartily cover up my problems with invisible wax, or acknowledge my current fate and fix it with gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment